Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Est. 1997


There are a few things you need to know.
I need you to know that I loved you from every angle,
not just the rearview mirror.
When the lights went out and inspiration sank,
to lie down in the backseat, it was my best possible bed. 
But you and I were two wheels rolling in opposite directions.
The results were skid marks on my heart.
When Frances Senska was asked for an artist statement,
she wrote, “I make pots.”
Because is life ever as complicated as a sentence?
Now the year is over and we are the
semi truck with the word ‘diamond’ plastered on the side,
because even though we don’t look like much,
we’ve got some sort of value to offer the world.
And the truth is,
I don’t want to wake up some mornings.
Then again, maybe I do because
dreams seem to be better when they end.
We really can’t delude ourselves any further
Because soon, the way that you packed up your notes
will be a formula for how to pick up the pieces
And the hallways an algorithm 
that taught you how to dodge. 
Life after this is singing and not knowing the words,
so when you pull off the formalities and clothe
the impossibilities, there really is no truer way
Of telling you my artist statement then saying
“I’m here, aren’t I?” 
There is no better way to say goodbye
to these past few years then by leaving,
because moving on always proves a point.
So, what do you say?
Let’s define human nature
and fake our deaths at least once
 in the next twenty years.
Let’s prove em’ all wrong
by throwing our hearts into the wind
and hoping that they’ll catch. 
Let’s show the world
that although our wrongs were substantial
compared to our rights,
WE need you to know
That mistakes are for learning,

And isn’t that what graduating is for? 





3 comments:

  1. HOLY, OKAY. This was so good. This part got me: "the way that you packed up your notes
    will be a formula for how to pick up the pieces
    And the hallways an algorithm
    that taught you how to dodge."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK this was amazing. U are amazing I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete