Saturday, July 4, 2015

North of July, South of Neverland

I don't remember last July.
I don't remember much about last summer, really.
I do remember that the fireworks were on the beach,
and that I accidentally told the truth
when I was supposed to tell a lie.
I remember that if I were to leave my heart
in a box beside your bed,
I would make it say: "Never fear the smoke."
Because waking up after the fireworks
means you always miss the show.
After all these years,
I still love every color.
After all these years,
I still don't like the sounds.
And I'll remember that we watched
an action movie when I wanted to sleep
and that I nearly drowned my sorrow in a literal river.
I guess when I think of humanity
and freedom, I see the graves.
There's so many who are dead,
for all of us who barely live.
So in this year of 'eighteen days till eighteen',  
I guess it is time to grow up.
Stop throwing poppers at my sister's feet.
Stop spelling my name in cursive
because sparklers run out too fast.
I guess it is time to say that maybe,
just maybe;
I want to run away to Neverland. 

I bet the Lost Boys have fireworks.   









7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, It felt real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was "18 days to 18" just the other day too. i made a cd of all the best songs about 17, i think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the fears of growing up, the fireworks, just yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop spelling my name in cursive
    because sparklers run out too fast.

    Same. Also this post is beautiful. And I think the lost boys totally have fireworks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey so AFHS Poetry club and LP creative writing are doing a Summer Slam open mic on August 12th, at 9pm at 746 N 730 E American Fork and we would absolutely love it if you came! You can share a poem or just listen or whatever. It's going to be super cool and a lot of great poets are coming. Savanna Jones will probably get on here soon and attest that it's gonna be cool and that I'm not a crazy person since you don't know me. You are completely welcome to bring anyone with you, especially other writers! That's all, hope you can come!

    You can email me with any questions: emmaheath97@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete