Sunday, June 7, 2015

Wailing Wall

I read a book called 'The History of Love'.

But it wasn't about you and I. 

That's okay, though.

Nothing seems to be these days.

I guess you can't hear me over the wave of her sighs or the wind through her hair.

I guess you can't hear me over the way your favorite song is the one she showed to you.
 
I can't even hear myself through my thoughts of you.

These last few years that I've loved you have been like suffering from amnesia.

I've forgotten everything that matters because I thought you were all that did.

I wanted out of that prison called 'Loving You From a Distance",

but now I've gone to a prison of swipe, delete.

I guess everything really is forgotten after high school.

If you searched my heart for sentences, they would all be yours.

I would write them on a slip of paper,

and fly the sky to Jerusalem.

The Wailing Wall for lamentations of sorrow and grief.

For God to save our souls.

I'd write the things I never said to you.

Lined paper doesn't seem to fit.

I'd say something like, "I can't be your friend,"

or, "Nothing makes me happier and nothing makes me sadder than you."

I'd say, "I love you," and "I wish I didn't love you."

I'd say, "Goodbye."

Because there is never victory in goodbye.

There is only surrender.

So here I am; surrendering.

Like the Joshua James song: "Should have known, that they'd be right."

Because they were right when they said I should have given in a long time ago.

But I was and am so lucky to love you. 

I'm just not so fortunate to have you feel the same. 

Does anyone ever get what the want?

You still don't?

Does God hear me?


I thought you were the only one that did.
 
 
 




The Wailing Wall of Jerusalem.










4 comments:

  1. "I'd write the things I never said to you. Lined paper doesn't seem to fit." And also I really liked the part about flying the sky to Jerusalem and including the wailing wall. Idk why I liked it so much but including a cultural symbol from a different culture really made it feel. Bless your heart Gentry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I read a book called 'The History of Love'.
    But it wasn't about you and I.
    That's okay, though.
    Nothing seems to be these days."
    MMMMMMMM girl. All kinds of feels.

    "I've forgotten everything that matters because I thought you were all that did. " so good.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I guess you can't hear me over the wave of her sighs or the wind through her hair.

    I'd say, "Goodbye."

    Because there is never victory in goodbye.

    There is only surrender.

    Holy smokes. that is gorgeous. I want to make print those out and frame them.

    ReplyDelete