Friday, May 1, 2015

I Once Went Canoeing

We are fossils, you realize that don't you?
We aren't old, aged or melodramatic.
I guess I thought that we were new and I've found I don't like brand new things.  Shoes are too tight and dresses don't fit over my shoulders like I wish they did.  Hearts are too open and the sand is too soft. 
But the tide always washes in, doesn't it?    Cardiac arrests happen more often than they did fifty years ago.  It's not so much cholesterol as it is heartbreak.  That's something your Cheerios can't fix.  
I thought I was Damien Rice, singing about how love colored me in.  I thought we were fossils in the way we wished to be remembered, not in terms of age.  
Little did I know that you whistled a different tune.  It appears love disfigured you.  Believe me when I say, I would recognize you if I'd never fallen.
And Mr. Nelson, I didn't want to go to the pond behind the school. 
It was too perfect a night and I can't remember every detail though I am sure my brain has it. 
But.
We are fossils, you realize that don't you?
You know what else fossils are? 
History. 
Never to be repeated.  
But I wanted to repeat all my time with you.  Because maybe then, I would have cherished every moment and not have looked forward to a nonexistent future.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Loved the last few lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that first line, though. and the line about cholestrol and heartbeak is amazing. i hope you know that you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is.probably my favourite, the fossil thing just resonates with my whole system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Because maybe then, I would have cherished every moment and not have looked forward to a nonexistent future." uh huh, preach

    ReplyDelete